Step-by-Step path to Software Asset Management
Software Asset Management provides insight into software assets for your organisation, whereby you can take measures to achieve software license compliance and achieve cost savings. Through the right combination of organisation, process and technology, an organisation can get optimal control. In order to achieve the correct balance that suits the ICT infrastructure and the IT objectives (short term) set by an organisation, you have to ask yourself: ‘What level of SAM maturity are we striving for as an organisation?’; ‘To what extent are we going to take control ourselves?’; ‘Up to which level are we going to carry out the operational license management activities?’ Softline Solutions has been the leading specialist in Software Asset Management for many years. Our tried and tested step-by-step approach leads organisations from the planning phase to operational SAM.
House of SAM - which level suits you?
Would you like to have complete insight into the software license compliance position with your top 5 software publishers, so that you are prepared for software audits? Or would you like to optimise your entire software management system and fully integrate Software Asset Management into your business activities? As completely independent SAM expert and market leader, Softline Solutions assists organisations with the implementation of Software Asset Management that completely suits their specific needs. The ‘House of SAM’ is based on ISO for SAM standard 19770-1, and forms the basis of the tried and tested approach that is built on many years of SAM experience. The approach is visualised as a house that has been built from the ground up. During the setting up of Software Asset Management, an organisation goes through 4 ‘tiers’:
- Tier 1: Reliable data: know what you want to measure and verify the completeness of the data coming from the SAM tool
- Tier 2: Practical management: set up SAM as a continuous process
- Tier 3: Operational integrity: integration of the SAM policy into operational business activities
- Tier 4: Best practice SAM: total integration of SAM within all layers of the organisation and the strategy
- Establish what information is required in order to determine the software license compliance position
- Doing the inventory of hardware and software
- Doing the inventory of licenses and contracts
- Linking the organisation’s data such as cost centres and locations
- Verification to determine whether data is complete and correct
- Offering advice with regard to software license compliance risks and cost savings
Determine the software license compliance position of your desired software publishers. Know what you want to measure, choose the correct SAM tooling, link the data with the available license information, verify the completeness of the data and optimise the software license compliance position through insight into your software assets.
- Optimisation & rationalisation of software license contracts
- Compliance & savings as a continuous process
Apply continuity in the optimisation of your software license management by setting up SAM as a continuous process.
- Determination and implementation of processes, procedures, etc.
- Integrate SAM with Contract management to optimise negotiation processes
- Integrate SAM with Finance for cost optimisation
Define and integrate the SAM policy with associated processes & procedures including Contract & Financial Management for cost optimisation.
- Protection of business information
- Full integration of Software Asset Management in the software lifecycle
Full integration of Software Asset Management in the lifecycle of software, as well as in the strategic planning and control of the organisation for full and continuous software license compliance and cost optimisation.
What is your next step?
The implementation of Software Asset Management is a diverse process whereby it is important to make use of the right knowledge. After all, short-term objectives have to be achieved in order to integrate Software Asset Management in your long-term business strategy. Softline Solutions can help you to take the next most suitable step.